50 Essential Questions To Ask Your Wedding Venue
2 MIN READ
You’ve set the wedding date. You’ve cut the list of possible wedding venues down to the final few. Now it’s time to meet with the venues to work out which one is the one. But what exactly do you need to ask?
We’ve spoken to the wedding experts to come up with this list of the 50 essential questions to ask before you make your final choice.
The Date, The Numbers, The Location
- Is the venue available on the day?
- What alternative dates are available if the date you want is already booked?
- Does the venue host more than one wedding a day; if so, how many?
- And, if it hosts more than one wedding a day, are any other weddings booked for that day?
- How many guests does the venue take?
- Is there a set time that the reception should finish?
- Is there a charge per hour if you go beyond the time allowed?
- How far in advance can you get access to the rooms to set up for the reception/ceremony?
- Is there first night accommodation (the honeymoon suite) for you?
- Is there overnight accommodation for guests?
- What time can you check-in and when do you have to check-out?
- How many rooms are there – single, double, triple, family suites etc.
- What are the room rates for each room type for a wedding booking?
- Can you make a block booking and is there a discount?
- Do they have arrangements with other accommodation providers nearby for overnight guests?
- Does the venue have a licence for a civil marriage ceremony?
- Do they have contact details for a registrar and/or officiant?
- What insurance requirements are there?
- Do they have an entertainment licence?
- Do they have a late licence for the bar?
- What rooms and facilities are available on the day?
- How many people will fit comfortably into each room?
- Can you have floor plans and table layouts?
- Does the venue supply seating if you have the ceremony there?
- Can you have a marquee on the grounds?
- Are there outdoor locations you can use at the venue?
- Do they provide catering?
- Can you bring in your own caterers?
- Will they offer you a free menu tasting?
- Is there a charge for corkage if you supply the wine?
- Can they cater for special dietary requirements and provide a children’s menu?
- Do they allow you to bring your own cake and supply a stand and knife for it?
- Do they charge for a cake-cutting fee?
- When do they usually serve the meal?
- What time do they serve the afters?
- Are there any photo or video restrictions?
- Do they have to leave the room so it can be set-up for the evening reception?
- Can you have lit candles in the reception room?
- Can guests throw rose petals and/or confetti?
- Do they allow professional fireworks at the venue?
- Can you make changes to the room layout and decoration?
- What time can you have guests for the ‘afters’ arrive?
- When can the band and the DJ arrive and set up at?
- Where will the band and the DJ play?
- Is there a quieter area that guests can escape to?
- Can they recommend bands and DJs for the wedding?
- How much deposit do you need to pay to hold the venue?
- When does it need to be paid and when does the balance need to be paid?
- Does the venue provide a written contract?
- Can you pay by credit card, electronic transfer or cash?
The Legal Stuff
The Reception Facilities
Need a helping hand to pay for your big day?
WARNING: If you do not meet the repayments on your loan, your account will go into arrears. This may affect your credit rating, which may limit your ability to access credit in the future.
Credit only available to over 18’s. Lending criteria, terms and conditions apply. Bank of Ireland is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.