1) What is Aer Credit Card?
Aer Credit Card is our newest personal credit card brought to you in partnership with Aer Lingus. It offers all the convenience of a regular credit card but comes with a number of travel rewards to unlock.
2) What travel rewards do I get with my Aer Credit Card?
- 2 Free Return Fares: Available when you spend €5,000 or more within a Reward Year on your Aer Credit Card, except for Excluded Transactions. Free return fares are for any European Aer Lingus ticketed and operated flights to/from Dublin, Cork, Shannon or Belfast. You pay taxes, fees and charges. A minimum of two seats per flight will be available, except for Restricted Periods. Seat availability on the Aer Lingus website or through a booking agent does not guarantee a free return fare. See Aer Credit Card Travel Rewards Terms and Conditions for more.
- 2 Fast Track & Priority Boarding Passes: On Aer Lingus operated flights out of Ireland at selected airports every Reward Year. See Aer Credit Card Travel Rewards Terms and Conditions for more.
- 2 Lounge Passes: To access airport lounges at Dublin, Cork, Shannon and Belfast every Reward Year. See Aer Credit Card Travel Rewards Terms and Conditions for more.
- Worldwide Multi-trip Travel Insurance including winter sports. See Travel Insurance Terms and Conditions for more.
- Collect 1 Avios for every €1 you spend on Aer Lingus products and services and 1 Avios for every €4 you spend on all other transactions. Avios can be used to save money on flights, hotels and car hire. See Aer Credit Card Travel Rewards Terms and Conditions for more.
3) What is the interest rate on Aer Credit Card?
To view a Aer Credit Card interest rates, click here.
4) Are there Account fees for Aer Credit Card?
Yes. There is a monthly account fee of €7.99 and annual government stamp duty of €30.
5) How do rates compare to other Bank of Ireland credit cards?
To compare rates on Bank of Ireland credit cards, click here.
6) How do I apply for an Aer Credit Card?
New customer: If you’re a new Bank of Ireland customer, you’ll need to complete the online application form and also provide us with the necessary account opening documentation. We’ll let you know what these documents are as you go through the application process.
Existing customer: If you’re an existing Bank of Ireland current account customer, simply complete the online application form and we’ll be in touch.
7) How do I unlock my Aer Credit Card travel rewards?
To unlock your travel rewards, you need to link your Aer Credit Card with AerClub, the loyalty programme of Aer Lingus. It’s really important that you do this. Otherwise you won’t be able to log in to the Aer Credit Card portal to view and redeem your travel rewards.
8) How do I link my Aer Credit Card with AerClub?
If you’re an existing AerClub member, you’ll be able to automatically link accounts using your AerClub login details. Log in now to link.
If you’re not an AerClub member, you can join AerClub now and then link your accounts when you’re all set up. It’s easy to do and we’ll guide you through it. Join AerClub now.
9) When are my 2 Free Return Fares available?
Your 2 Free Return Fares are available when you spend €5,000 or more within a Reward Year on the Aer Credit Card, except for Excluded Transactions.
Don’t forget you pay taxes, fees and charges. We’ll notify you by email when you reach this balance. You can also see your Aer Credit Card eligible spend total when you log in to the Aer Credit Card portal. You have 12 months to request your 2 Free Return Fares from Aer Lingus from the date you reach your €5,000 spend. You’ll see this when you log in to the Aer Credit Card portal.
Remember, balance transfers you make will not count towards calculating the amount spent on your Credit Card for Free Fares, but special promotional offers may apply from time to time.
10) What is a Reward Year?
A Reward Year (Anniversary Year) means each 12 month period from your Aer Credit Card account opening date.
11) Do I pay taxes and charges on my Free Return Fares?
Yes you do. Free Return Fares do not include taxes, fees or charges so you will have to pay Aer Lingus for these items separately for the relevant flight(s).
12) Are there any travel restrictions on my Free Return Fares?
Yes. There are some. We and/or Aer Lingus do not guarantee that you will be able to obtain a reservation on your preferred flight. Free Return Fares are for any European Aer Lingus ticketed and operated flights to/from Dublin, Cork, Shannon or Belfast. A minimum of two seats per flight will be available, except for Restricted Periods (detailed below). Seat availability on the Aer Lingus website or through a booking agent does not guarantee a free return fare.
Availability is restricted during holidays and other peak travel periods, including but not limited to bank holidays, school holidays and sporting events. For example, Free Return Fares will be restricted on certain flights during the following dates and travel periods:
- 24 June – 31 August (Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays)
- 20 December – 06 January
- February/October midterm breaks (Saturday/Sunday)
- Easter (Good Friday – Easter Monday)
- Six Nations Rugby matches (flights to the destination of the matches may not be available on the day of the match and 2 days either side of it)
- Other Irish bank holiday weekends (Friday/Saturday/Monday). For more guidance on restrictions on routes please see https://aercreditcard.aerlingus.com
Top tip! If you book early you may be more likely to get your preferred destination and travel dates.
13) How far in advance do I need to book my Free Return Fares?
Bookings for Free Return Fares must be made no less than 30 days in advance and may be made up to 11 months prior to departure.
14) How do I book my Free Return Fares?
Log in to the Aer Credit Card portal. Click on the My Fares tab to complete the 2 Free Return Fares request form. Given travel restrictions we’ve outlined above, make sure you have a few preferred dates to suggest when completing the request form. Once you complete the form, you will receive a call back from an Aer Lingus representative within 24 hours (excluding weekends and bank holidays). Log in to the Aer Credit Card portal
15) How do I redeem my Lounge Passes?
Log in to the Aer Credit Card portal. Click on the My Passes tab under the Lounge Pass heading and complete the form, following the instructions outlined.
You’ll need to have your flight number to redeem your Lounge Passes. So make sure you have it handy. Log in to the Aer Credit Card portal
16) How to I redeem my Fast Track & Priority Boarding Passes?
Log in to the Aer Credit Card portal. Click on the My Passes tab under the Fast Track & Priority Boarding heading and complete the form, following the instructions outlined.
You’ll need to have your flight number to redeem your Fast Track & Priority Boarding Passes, so make sure you have it handy. Log in to the Aer Credit Card portal
17) What is Avios?
Avios is the reward currency of Aer Club, the loyalty programme of Aer Lingus. By collecting Avios on flights, hotels and car hire, you can redeem them for Reward Flights to hundreds of destinations or use them to spend on hotel stays, car hire and more.
18) How do I collect Avios on my Aer Credit Card?
You can collect Avios in the following ways:
(a) On Aer Lingus Products and Services: For every €1 you and/or any Additional Cardholder spend using the Aer Credit Card on Aer Lingus Products and Services you will collect 1 Avios. This includes flights, bags, meals, on plane purchases, SMS, Heathrow Express and lounge.
(b) All other transactions: For every €4 you and/or any Additional Cardholder spends using the Aer Credit Card (other than on Excluded Transactions or on Aer Lingus Products and Services) you will collect 1 Avios. Excluded Transactions are listed under Definitions in the Aer Credit Card Travel Rewards Terms and Conditions.
You collect Avios each time you and/or an Additional Cardholder uses your Aer Credit Card to purchase goods and services as long as the purchase is not an Excluded Transaction. You do not earn Avios for Excluded Transactions.
You can start collecting Avios from the time you receive your Aer Credit Card but you will only be able to redeem Avios when you are a Linked Cardholder and the Avios has been credited to your AerClub Account.
19) Can I collect Avios in other ways?
Yes. A full breakdown of ways to collect Avios points can be found here
20) How can I spend my Avios?
Spend Avios on reward flights to a destination of your choice with Aer Lingus and AerClub partner airlines, or travel in style with a Business Class upgrade to or from the US and Canada. You can also spend Avios on hotels, car hire and experiences to make the perfect getaway. Visit the AerClub website for more information
21) When can I use my Worldwide Multi Trip Travel Insurance?
You will receive your Worldwide Multi Trip Travel Insurance policy in the post along with your Aer Credit Card. This sets out the details of the Travel Insurance. You get Travel Insurance with your credit card from Account opening. You do not need to be an AerClub Member or a Linked Cardholder to get Travel Insurance with your card.
22) What does the Worldwide Multi Trip Travel Insurance cover?
Worldwide Multi Trip Travel Insurance covers you and your family for all your travel, regardless of the number of trips you take.
23) How do I make a Travel Insurance claim?
If you need to make a claim, you can obtain a form from AIG Claims Service, OSG Travel Claims, AIG House, Merrion Hall, Strand Road, Dublin 4. Telephone (01) 2611540
24) I have an existing BOI personal credit card, can I also have an Aer Credit Card?
Yes, you can have both however, you might save more on fees and gain more in benefits by switching to an Aer Credit Card. Click the tab above to compare all Bank of Ireland credit cards on offer.
25) My Aer Credit Card has been lost/stolen, what do I do?
You need to contact Bank of Ireland and cancel your card. Contact our 24 hour Lost/Stolen Department on the following numbers:
- Republic of Ireland – 0818 706 706
- Great Britain/Northern Ireland – 0345 309 8099
- Outside these locations – +353 567 757 007
We will cancel your lost or stolen card and have the new card issued to your address on file within 5-7 working days.
Please let us know immediately if you discover your card is lost or stolen. Otherwise, you’ll be liable for any losses up to the time you report the loss to us.
26) If I receive a replacement Aer Credit Card, do I have to sign up for AerClub again?
When you receive a replacement Aer Credit Card, it will automatically be linked to AerClub.
27) Can I put multiple people on my Aer Credit Card?
Yes. All additional cardholders’ spend is automatically included once the principal cardholder has signed up for AerClub. The principal cardholder is the credit card account holder whose name appears on the monthly credit card statement. The card will earn Avios but only the primary cardholder will be able to redeem.
28) Who to contact:
If you have a question about linking your Aer Credit Card to your Aer Club account, contact AerClub at: https://www.aerlingus.com/support/contact-us
If you have a question around Aer Credit Card transactions and associated Avios award, contact Bank of Ireland at 0818 251 251.