How to make an International Payment
Making international payments online is easy and secure.
Republic of Ireland (ROI) customers
An international transfer is used for international foreign currency payments (e.g. Sterling to the UK, Zloty to Poland) and for euro transfers to certain international countries (e.g. Euro to China). There are no payment fees on transfers to the UK, EU member states and EEA countries (e.g. Sterling to the UK, Zloty to Poland). For other countries with a foreign exchange conversion (e.g. US dollar to the United States), the transfer fee is only €5.
Northern Ireland and Great Britain (NI/GB) customers
An international transfer is used for foreign currency transfers (e.g. Euro to Spain or Australian dollars to Australia) and for Sterling transfers to international countries. There is no charge for Euro transfers to EU Member states (e.g. Euro to Ireland) and a £15 charge for other international transfers (e.g. Australian dollars to Australia).
The payee’s bank may deduct charges from the amount received. You should check with the payee’s bank before making a transfer’.
For further details on Bank of Ireland international transfers, please see our FAQs
- How to get started
If you are not already a 365 online user, register today
- How to add an International Payee
Before making an international payment you must first add the bank account details of the payee you wish to send money to.
- Login to 365 online,
- Select ‘Money Transfer’
- Select the ‘Add a Payee’ option
- Select the type of payee you wish to add and the delivery method for the security code.
- Select the Payee country from the list provided
- Enter the payee details:
- Confirm details entered by entering 3 randomly requested digits from your 365 online PIN
- To activate the new international payee, enter the 7 digit security code you received by post or mobile phone (depending on the delivery method chosen in step 4 above)
- Security Code sent to Mobile Phone – you will be given the option on screen to activate the payee straight away
- Security Code sent by Post – once received, select ‘Manage Accounts’ on the left hand menu and choose ‘Manage Payees’. You must then choose the payee you wish to activate and click ‘Activate’. Input the security code and click ‘Activate Payee’. You will see confirmation that this payee has been activated successfully.
- How to make an international payment
- Login to 365 online
- Select ‘Money Transfer’
- Select International Transfer
- Select the Bank of Ireland account you want to pay from
- Select the payee you want to send money to (depending on the location of the payee selected, you may need to select the currency of the payment)
- Enter the money transfer details (amount, reason for payment and message for payee)
- Confirm payment by entering 3 randomly requested digits from your 365 online PIN on the Review screen
Please note: It may take up to 3 working days for this transaction to reach the payee’s bank.