Features & Benefits
What you get with a Basic Bank Account:
- With a Basic Bank Account, there are no fees for maintaining the account for the first 12 months. Fees for maintaining the account may be charged after 12 months depending on account turnover. There are also no individual charges for a range of current account transactions and services. There are a small number of services you may be charged for, such as using your debit card for transactions in a foreign currency – see here for more details.
- Mobile payments are now available: You can make quick, easy and contactless payments using your phone/devices – click here to find out more about Apple Pay and click here for Google Pay.
- Online banking, Mobile banking and Telephone banking – bank whenever you want, wherever you want
- Debit Card with contactless payments – make purchases at home and abroad by simply tapping your card on the reader
- Bank statements and transaction history – see your account balances, bank statements (eStatements) and transaction history with 365 Online
- Access to a comprehensive ATM and Branch network
- Quick and easy ways to pay bills and other payments – pay your utility bills by direct debit, set up standing orders
- Make foreign currency (FX) payments: You can send money to friends or family, pay for overseas tuition fees and pay for property or cars abroad (subject to limits) see here for more details.
- Instant Access Demand Account: use Instant Access Demand accounts to set aside and separate money into “Money Pots” online. A great way to manage your day-to-day spending such as – save excess money, ringfence or pool money for rent or bills, save for a short-term goal or treat. Money pots give you more flexibility to manage your day-to-day finances by making sure you stay in control of where your money goes. Click here for more information on how to open Instant Access Demand accounts.
Register for Online Banking with 365 Online and you can add the following features to your Basic Bank account:
- Mobile Banking – giving you access to the most popular 365 online services, securely and directly from your own mobile phone
- Control your cards at your fingertips: We’ve introduced new features to Banking 365 for your credit and debit cards. You can freeze and unfreeze your card, view the card PIN, order a replacement and much more. See all our new card features here.
- eStatements – go paperless with eStatements
- Pay to Mobile – available on the mobile banking app; transfer money to any registered Bank of Ireland account simply by knowing the mobile number of the account holder
- Access to exclusive online savings accounts – open a savings account in minutes
In order to qualify for a Basic Bank Account the following criteria applies:
- Customers must be over the age of 18 or over the age of 16 if not in full-time education
- Customers must be legally resident in the European Union (EU)
- Customers must not already hold a personal payment account or current account with any bank in the Republic of Ireland (you will be asked to sign a declaration provided by us to confirm this)
With the Basic Bank Account, there is
- No cheque book provided
- No overdraft facility
- Only one account can be held per customer
International Protection Applicants
For information on International Protection Applicants, click here.