What details do you need to give when applying for a Protection Product?
Our expert advisers will take you through the application process
- They will ask questions about your lifestyle (e.g. your hobbies, your smoking and alcohol consumption), your occupation, your medical history, such as whether you have been hospitalised or been to see your GP recently and the outcome, your family’s medical history, your doctor’s contact details.
With your consent, your doctor may be contacted to provide a report on your health depending on your health, age, type and amount of policy you want to take out.
These details are required by the insurance company to assess the appropriate premium. It is extremely important that you fill out this form truthfully and in full, as these details are fundamental to your contract. If you have any doubts as to whether something is relevant or not you should include it. This will mean that if you or you family do need to claim in the future, you can be confident that the claim will run smoothly.
Can you use an existing life assurance policy to cover a new mortgage?
Yes, you can use an existing life insurance policy as long as:
- it is not in place to cover another loan or mortgage;
- the amount you are insured for is at least equal to the term and amount of your mortgage.
How to use an eligible existing protection policy to cover a mortgage:
You would have to ‘assign' the policy to your lender. This means you would agree to give your lender, the life insurance benefit to pay off your mortgage if you died during the term.
If I die, who is the benefit paid to?
If the Mortgage Protection policy is required by your lender to repay your mortgage, the benefit will be paid directly to your lender.
If the amount of cover is greater than the balance due on the mortgage, the remainder will be paid to your estate.
If the amount of cover is less than the balance due on the mortgage, the remainder will be owed to the lender by your estate.
Will you need to attend a doctor?
- If you have had an illness in the past that the insurance company needs to know more about, or
- If the amount of cover you require is very large, you may be asked to attend a doctor for examination and/or tests (this review process is known as underwriting).
- Where can I download the Commission Summary Document?